Select the story you'd like to read:
Team RMHC is officially on the move.
More than 350 runners who have signed up to run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon to raise awareness and funds for RMHC programs and services are logging some serious miles this summer as they train to run 26.2 miles on October 7.
Marathon training is strenuous though and it requires a lot of energy. So this month our recipe is dedicated to Team RMHC – a delicious, nutritious, carbo-loaded meal that is sure to fuel their next long run.
However, this is also a great recipe for a crowd – something that would be easy to make and serve in the kitchen of your local Ronald McDonald House. A comforting pasta dinner that will give RMHC families the kind of fuel they need to regain their strength to beat their own races against illness and injury.
Penne with Wild Mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh wild mushrooms – use a variety. They should be loosely chopped.
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup dry white vermouth
- Penne pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chopped Italian parsley
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter, plus olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Sauté mushrooms until tender and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, white wine and vermouth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for one minute.
- Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for a half an hour or so.
- In a large sauce pan, cook the penne in boiling salted water. Drain. And place back in large sauce pan.
- Stir in sautéed mushrooms. Then stir in Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serve immediately!